We had believed, and written, that there is only one old covered bridge left in New Jersey -- Green Sergeant's -- and that is true, if by "old" you mean dating before 1900. But there is another covered bridge in New Jersey, carrying traffic and gracing the community of Barclay Farm in Cherry Hill. It is the Scarborough Bridge.
In 1959, Bob Scarborough was developing housing on the Barclay Farmstead, and wanted to extend the subdivision street system over the North Fork of Cooper River, a small creek at the site. A lover of the Bucks County Covered Bridges, Scarborough decided to have a covered bridge for the purpose, and commissioned architect Malcolm Wells to design the bridge. It was dedicated on Saturday, February 14th, 1959. (The author of this piece was enrolled in Fair Park High School in Shreveport, Louisiana, at the time, studying drafting under Mom Hearne and realizing that he was not fated to be an architect because he couldn't get the india ink lines uniform). The bridge was renovated in 1993 and rededicated on its 34th anniversary.
The bridge Wells designed for Scarborough is at once traditional and distinctive. The incomplete A-frame and diagonal braces over the walkways make it quite different from other bridges in our area -- as does its two-lane breadth. But its Town Truss construction is very much in the Bucks County tradition.
We are indebted to Tom Friedman for informing us of the existence of this bridge and to Sally Callaghan of the historic Barclay Farmstead for further information and help.
Roger A. McCain