THE WEB-PAGE HAS MOVED TO
Associate Professor of Economics
Visiting Scholar, Payment Cards Center, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia
Department of Economics and International Business
LeBow College of Business
3600 Market Street (7th Floor)
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Phone: (215) 895-6816
Ph.D. (Economics) University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, 1998
M.S. (Mathematics) University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, 1996
M.A. (Economics) Athens University of Economics and Business, 1992
B.A. (Economics) Athens University of Economics and Business, 1990
Industrial Organization, Game Theory and Microeconomics
Publications in Refereed Journals
1. Is the effect of competition on price dispersion non-monotonic? Evidence from the U.S. airline industry, (with Mian Dai and Qihong Liu). Review of Economics and Statistics, forthcoming.
2. Price discrimination in two-sided markets, (with Qihong Liu). NET Institute Working Paper # 07-25. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, forthcoming.
3. The comparison of ad valorem and specific taxation under uncertainty, (with Christos Kotsogiannis), Journal of Public Economic Theory, forthcoming.
4. Location decisions of competing networks, (with Eleftherios Zacharias). NET Institute Working Paper # 09-18. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, vol.21, n.4, 989-1005 (2012).
5. Patent settlements as a barrier to entry, (with Anne Duchene), Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, vol.21, n.2, 399-429 (2012).
6. Minimum quality standard regulation under imperfect quality observability, (with Min Chen), Journal of Regulatory Economics, vol.41, n.2, 269-291 (2012).
7. Third-degree price discrimination, (with Qihong Liu), Journal of Industrial Organization Education, Vol. 5, Iss. 1, Article 5 (2010).
8. Public goods and tax competition in a two-sided market, (with Christos Kotsogiannis), Journal of Public Economic Theory, 12 (2), 281-321 (2010).
9. Retailer price distributions and promotional activities, (with Adam D. Rennhoff), Economics Letters, 103, 91-95, (2009).
10. The role of upstream-downstream competition on bundling decisions: Should regulators force firms to unbundle?, (with Adam D. Rennhoff), Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, vol. 18, n. 2, 547-588 (2009).
11. Endogenous matching in a market with heterogeneous principals and agents, International Journal of Game Theory, 36, 587-619 (2008), (special issue in honor of David Gale).
12. Product customization, (with Dan Bernhardt and Qihong Liu), European Economic Review, 51, 1396-1422 (2007).
13. Market segmentation and collusive behavior, (with Qihong Liu), International Journal of Industrial Organization, 25, 355-378 (2007).
14. A location model with preference for variety, (with Hyunho Kim), Journal of Industrial Economics, LIV, 4, 569-595 (2006).
15. Customer information sharing among rival firms, (with Qihong Liu), European Economic Review, 50, 1571-1600 (2006).
16. Imperfect price discrimination, market structure and efficiency, (with Qihong Liu), Canadian Journal of Economics, 38, 1191-1203 (2005).
17. Risk sharing vs. incentives: Contract design under two-sided heterogeneity, Economics Letters, 88, 343-349 (2005).
18. Imperfect price discrimination in a vertical differentiation model, (with Qihong Liu), International Journal of Industrial Organization, 23, 341-354 (2005).
19. Quality of information and oligopolistic price discrimination, (with Qihong Liu), Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, vol. 13, n. 4, 671-702 (2004).
20. When vagueness induces indirect competition: Strategic incompleteness of contracts, (with Jaideep Roy), Economic Theory 20, 603-621 (2002).
21. Semicollusion vs. full collusion: The role of demand uncertainty and product substitutability, (with George Deltas), Journal of Economics (Zeitschrift für Nationalökonomie) 77, 111-139 (2002), Lead article.
22. Intertemporal discounting and tenurial contracts, (with Jaideep Roy), Journal of Development Economics 64, 417-436 (2001).
23. Non-myopic learning in differential information economies: The core, Economic Theory 18, 333-348 (2001).
24. American shipping cartels in the pre-world war I era, (with George Deltas and Richard Sicotte), Research in Economic History 19, 1-38 (1999), Lead article.
25. (with Nicholas C. Yannelis), Macroeconomic Dynamics 2, 141-155 (1998), Lead article.
Publications in Books
26. Collusion and distribution of profits under differential information, (with Nicholas C. Yannelis), in Economic Theory and Applications, edited by C.D. Aliprantis, A. Alkan and N.C. Yannelis, Springer-Verlag, 455-473 (1999).
Completed Papers and Work in Progress
1. (with Minghua Chen and Adam D. Rennhoff).
2. The market for venture capital: Entry, competition and the survival of start-up companies (with Suting Hong and Veikko Thiele).
3. Technology transfer and entry deterrence (with Anne Duchene and Debapriya Sen).
5. Dynamic pricing of credit cards and the effects of regulation (with Robert M. Hunt).
6. Boom and bust cycles in the venture capital market, (with Veikko Thiele).
7. Competition and specialization: Evidence from venture capital (with Christos Cabolis and Mian Dai).
8. Strategic managerial compensation arising from product market competition (with Jose M. Plehn-Dujowich).
9. Estimating the effects of a la carte pricing: The case of cable television (with Adam D. Rennhoff).
10. Efficiency, welfare and ownership of private information (with Qihong Liu).
11. Duration of tenancy contracts (with Jaideep Roy)